Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Consonants make you sound smart.

I couldn't believe it. A Reform Hazzan stood in front of a group of 6th-graders and said to them: If someone in the back is being obnoxious and standing, that's fine, once they realize we're all waiting for them, they'll usually get embarrassed and sit down.

Now, don't quote me, but that was the spirit of the speech. Now isn't it sort of a sad state of affairs when standing for the V'ahavta is "obnoxious"? Shouldn't the person leading the prayer lead and let the person praying pray how they would like? Is that not what this movement is all about?

Or is there Reform minchag, or tradition, that is more binding than halacha, or law, seeing as we sort of build our own practice in this movement? Right? Should I sit during the V'ahavta if I stand for Sh'ma? Is it anyone's business but my own?

I like to think after doing my research and learning my facts I'm making an informed decision to say Sh'ma, and therefore V'ahavta, in the position I happen to find myself after the blessings that accompany the prayer. Or even if it is my choice to dance around, should that not be acceptable if that is how I choose to say/sing/hum/coo/lullaby/play-the-harp-to/whatever-it-is-I-do? I think it should. Who cares how I pray but me and God.

Honestly, it doesn't matter what anyone thinks of my choice of prayer. I do it because I like it, the things I do feel right to me. It is really important to the community that I pray the way they choose to and say the words they say?

I think the way we take this pluralism thing to heart is weird.

2 comments:

Elaina Marshalek said...

And I will always remember that stubborn kid that stood during V'ahavta when everyone sat, right smack in the middle of the congregation. No one focused on their prayers...he made them uncomfortable.

Some people make the pluralistic choice to pray in a community where everyone stands and sits at the same time. It's a prayer method that some people like...obviously one that a lot of people like since so many people go to them. It's obviously not something that you do not like.


And as a side note: honestly, does standing up for a prayer that everyone sits for really bring you closer to God? Does it connect you to your people? Is it really in fact so important to you because you would not normally do it in the first place? Think about it.

Josh Levin said...

So conformity for the sake of conformity is pluralistic? Or do I misunderstand?

I'm over the not getting to stand thing, tough cookies.