Sunday, October 28, 2007

I. We. I verus we. I and we.

It's the ultimate showdown in cooperation. The community I belong to and the beliefs I hold.

Should I send that e-mail relating to the service I'm supposed to plan on Shabbat? My community would say no, that to communicate in such a way pertaining to Temple matters on the Sabbath would be ill advised. My thinking is that I have to get it done and I happen to have time on Shabbat and it does nothing to interfere with my decision and method of observance, so why not?

Money cannot exchange hands prior to the Kabbalat Shabbat service, well why not? Are we to go to such lengths to prevent exchanging money on the Sabbath at Temple yet the next day probably purchase a good or two? So is this the reason we cannot have a donation box for a social action event, really?

Is it that important that we observe a tradition that may not be our personal one in order to not transgress in the name of Judaism, working for the temple or on the Temple grounds? Is this not a bit hypocritical of us?

Assuming we do not force others to donate or carry money and respond or check their own e-mail, would it not be totally acceptable to follow our own Sabbat beliefs even at a building called "Temple"?

No comments: